In case you missed it, Apple dropped the 10.7.3 update for Logic Pro earlier this week.
And if you’re getting into Spatial Mixing with Logic Pro, I would say 10.7.3 is absolutely critical to your Spatial Mix efforts.
Usually a “double-point” update is a maintenance update. Bug fixes, workflow enhancements, but not usually big new features.
But! Apple has delivered some serious new features to the Atmos plugin. 10.7.3 now allows you to listen to your Spatial Mixes through:
- Apple’s own Apple renderer so you have a much closer preview of how your mixes will sound as Spatial Audio on Apple Music
- Apple AirPods (gen 3), AirPod Pros, AirPod Maxes, & Beats Fit Pro with HeadTracking
- Through the built-in Speakers on Apple Silicon Macs that support Spatial Audio
By my count, that’s 3 new ways you can mix and audition Spatial Mixes, plus the original Dolby Renderer that came with 10.7.
And with the ability to audition your mixes through Mac speakers that support Spatial Audio, you can hear your mixes outside of a pair of headphones! Without having to buy a 10-12 speaker setup 🙂
This is huge. But beyond that, there are many other bug fixes and improvements across the app. Including:
- Further optimizations for Apple Silicon Macs, and
- Logic will no longer crash when a plugin crashes on Apple Silicon Macs thanks to the new Recover feature
In this week’s video above I’ll show you why 10.7.3 has me excited for Spatial Mixing. Also, check out the referenced resources below for more before you update:
Logic Pro Release Notes – https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203718
How to Back Up Logic Pro – https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202992
How to Back Up MacOS with Time Machine – https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201250
Sonnox ListenHub app – https://www.sonnox.com/toolbox/listenhub