(Heads up, the links below do include affiliate links. If you purchase a product from the following vendors after clicking, I may receive a commission.)
In the market for studio speakers? Well, then you might want to check out the new iLoud Precisions from IK Multimedia.
Between the fantastic sound quality, built-in speaker correction, & complementary X-Monitor app, these speakers are fan-freaking-tastic.
After purchasing and living with the iLoud Precision MTMs from IK Multimedia for the last 6 months, I wanted to take a moment to share how much I love these speakers.
I ordered a pair of the iLoud Precision MTMs back in September of last year. IK had just announced the iLoud Precision series and were making some seriously bold claims about them.
- Perfect time alignment
- Ultra-flat +1/-1 dB from 45 Hz to 30 kHz (?!)
- Extended range down to 36 Hz
- Built-in speaker calibration
- Audio performance that beats monitors three times their price (?!?!)
Now I’m certainly no authority on the subject of studio speakers. But these claims caught my attention. Mainly for 2 reasons:
- The speaker correction software I was using to tune my system to my room introduced hundreds of milliseconds of latency all the time. Meaning I had to bypass or quit the speaker correction anytime I needed to record or film.
- Despite my efforts to outfit my space with acoustic treatment, constantly tweaking speaker placement, and owning a 4-way system (3-way monitors + subwoofer + software = $4700 USD), the low-end continued to be a moving target.
Now I’m not saying #2 is entirely the fault of my old setup. No doubt there was probably some user error somewhere. But with all those moving parts, I just felt there had to be an easier and more streamlined way to work.
Upon arrival and setting up the iLoud Precisions, I listened to all sorts of music that afternoon.
And seriously, I hadn’t had that much fun listening to music in a long time. The imaging and transient details are bananas!
Mixing on the iLoud Precisions dramatically sped up as well. Far less bouncing between listening on studio speakers and double-checking on my iPhone. Between the:
- Fantastic sound and stereo imaging
- Built-in and latency-free ARC speaker correction
- X-Monitor app and remote for direct access to speaker controls
- The Precision line’s ability to emulate other speaker models
The iLoud Precisions have truly transformed and streamlined my workflow.
Now my speakers are tuned 100% of the time. Whether I’m recording, mixing, filming, mastering, etc. Because the ARC filters are stored inside the speakers. Not in a separate app living on the Mac.
Of course I would be remiss to not mention that the iLoud Precisions are on the pricier end. And I 100% understand that not everyone may have the budget or even desire for speakers that cost $899 – $1199 per speaker.
BUT – for me, a guy on the internet claiming to know a lot about stuff like audio and music, etc. It’s crucial to me that I can trust what I’m hearing – no matter what. And the circumstances of my old setup had too many conditions to negotiate and contend with.
Now? I can say I’m very confident and quite happy 🙂
Interested to learn more about the iLoud Precisions from IK Multimedia? Click here to go to IK’s website.